Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Stories & Myths



In class, I have enjoyed hearing the "Professor Sexson" version of the myths. His "true stories" are entertaining, and function in a way to help us as students consider the myths in the context of the 21st century. As Professor Sexson tells his version, he is doing even more, he is giving us a better understanding of the oral tradition of the myths found in Ovid's Metamorpheses and the oral tradition of myths that are prevalent today. (An example being that my mother's first name is Diane, adapted from the name Diana, one of the Olympian goddesses.) One thing that I keep thinking about is at what point are edited versions of myths no longer myths? Professor Sexson not only shared his version of the story of Echo and Narcissus; he also spoke of the versions found in the writing of Euripides. Each version had its own charm and intrigue. There is a sense in which I have the liberty to embellish the myth myself, and yet I cannot deviate from the story-line altogether--I could not make Narcissus fall in love with Echo, get married, have children, and live happily ever after. Such a story does not reveal the precedent behind an action, and is therefore not a myth. This reveals the line drawn between a story and a myth. And this gained understanding gives me a greater appreciation for those who created the myths written in Ovid's book.



No comments:

Post a Comment