Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why an Absence of Ears?

I grew up on a farm in north-central Montana. The farm life was an absolutely wonderful experience. As I was thinking of the farm, while sitting in class, I remembered one of our cats. This cat is not real special or real friendly, but she is unique in the fact that she has no ears. Now it was not as if this cat was born without ears. According to my mother, the ears "froze off." I always considered this a valid explanation, but when I thought of the cat just the other day, I wondered what the mythological explanation could be for this cat without ears. (the picture below is not of my cat, but it gives you the idea)


So in my quest to find the myth that would explain this cat with no ears, I found there are two possible explanations. According to Wikipedia, there is a Yoruba myth of the goddess Oba who was married to the god Shango. There are a few versions of the myth. One of the more prominent versions being that a co-wife of Shango convinced Oba to cut off her ear and feed it to her husband. The reaction of her husband was not what she expected, seeing her mutilation and the food offering, he banished her forever. In another version of the myth, Oba cuts off her ears and gives them to Shango to eat (since they had run out of goat), that he might have strength to defeat the deity Ogun. 

The other myth regarding cut ears was found in the ebook Myths and Legends of China. The soldiers of the army of early China would cut off the ears of the "vanquished" and bring them to their king. 

I am pretty sure the cat on the farm is a female, so according to these myths, she may have been trying to overcome fellow co-wives by offering her ears as food, or perhaps after defeat in battle her ears were cut off before she began another one of her nine lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment