Saturday, March 30, 2013

Similarities Among the Displacement Stories


I wonder what Ovid would think of this shirt. 
The displacements stories written by my fellow classmates were enjoyable and for the most part suspenseful. Most all of them maintained a nice balance so as to give clues of the related myth but to also not give it away. One of the commonalities among many of the stories was the high school setting and high school relationship issues. I wonder if this is due to the highly dramatic scenes that are typical in real-life high schools. Then again, Ovid’s stories typically do involve many older people, often the characters depicted in his writing are in their prime age of life.

Many of the stories had a lot of little details. I think this helps the reader to become more invested in the story so that the shocking ending is effective. Sometimes the details were unconnected to the myth, but at other times a certain verb or adjective would blatantly relate to a myth, if the mythic detective is awake. To the everyday eye, those words are unnoticed or simply deemed awkward in the writing. This makes me much more appreciative of Mr. Nabokov’s writing because the descriptive words he used enriched the story for the average reader and even more for the mythic detective.

I think I read two stories that ended happily, and this is reflective of the predominance of myths ending in an unfortunate way. As I think of books or movies that I have interacted with, I can say that for the most part they end in a favorable ways—even if the hero dies, it is an honorable death. And then I think of the news and how depressing it can be. It is the minority of news that is actually encouraging. There is obviously many differences between myths and the news, but I think that the significance of individual words and the detail that causes the reader to sympathize with the characters that causes myths to be powerful and long-lasting, as opposed to rumors or bad news. The endings of myths are more often similar to the news reports, whereas the build-up and the meaningfulness of myths are similar to movies and books. This is just a thought; I will have to keep considering it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment